Noch ein Tag ist fast vorbei.
In Austria, there exists a law against practicing with the windows open... no matter how pretty your voice is, or how interesting your oboe concerto, or how much you may be suffocating in your little practice room, you are considered a noise disturbance. When I first read this in the AIMS handbook, I thought it was ganz wahnsinnig!!! (Completely crazy). Now I understand. People practice here at all hours of the day, and some are not such law abiding citizens. Just try to take a nap at 5pm when oyu finally get back to your room after having class all day since 8am. There is always someone who forgot to close his or her window. Your best bet is to just drown them out with some music of your own.
The level four German class today worked out quite well. I also had German Poetry and German Diction, both taught by a man who I'm not sure isn't a little cracked... in the best possible way (or the worst? Hard to tell after one day). He starts class off on a low note, coming off as a gentle, intellectual old man. Then he gets going... and boy does he. Half-stumbling around the room going on about the need to simplify German poetry, and not add what isn't there. Don't imagine things!!! They teach it all wrong in schools today!!! You must pay attention to the rise and fall of the German sentences... it is from there that you get the context and the meaning. Somewhere around 4/5 of the way through class, his gradual crescendo reaches such a climax that one worries that a blood vessel might expload in his brain. It's actually somewhat spectacular. Then... the denoument. And study this poem for homework, boys and girls.
Stage Artistry is basically an acting class- which is great. I really hope he can teach me something. Because so far, no acting class has ever done this. And it's not because I'm any great shakes at acting, believe you me. I will try to work on Quando in this class, as it is so dramatic.
After lunch, I found an empty room with a piano, in which to practice... exploring those things we worked on in my voice lesson and coaching. Things are starting to maybe make sense. The whole concept of support is so illusive. How do you support without tension? The room was so accoustically live, I couldn't get that accurate an idea of what it sounded like... In some ways it felt complicated, in others easy. I am glad that I have another voice lesson tomorrow, so that I can ask about these things. Micaela is also coming along. I can't wait to coach the Dvorak with R.T. on Friday. If what I did today was correct, it may revolutionize my concept of singing. And if not... oh well.
One of those ridiculous things about learning and studying more... it's a bit like subtraction soup. The longer you study, the more you realize you know nothing at all.
The level four German class today worked out quite well. I also had German Poetry and German Diction, both taught by a man who I'm not sure isn't a little cracked... in the best possible way (or the worst? Hard to tell after one day). He starts class off on a low note, coming off as a gentle, intellectual old man. Then he gets going... and boy does he. Half-stumbling around the room going on about the need to simplify German poetry, and not add what isn't there. Don't imagine things!!! They teach it all wrong in schools today!!! You must pay attention to the rise and fall of the German sentences... it is from there that you get the context and the meaning. Somewhere around 4/5 of the way through class, his gradual crescendo reaches such a climax that one worries that a blood vessel might expload in his brain. It's actually somewhat spectacular. Then... the denoument. And study this poem for homework, boys and girls.
Stage Artistry is basically an acting class- which is great. I really hope he can teach me something. Because so far, no acting class has ever done this. And it's not because I'm any great shakes at acting, believe you me. I will try to work on Quando in this class, as it is so dramatic.
After lunch, I found an empty room with a piano, in which to practice... exploring those things we worked on in my voice lesson and coaching. Things are starting to maybe make sense. The whole concept of support is so illusive. How do you support without tension? The room was so accoustically live, I couldn't get that accurate an idea of what it sounded like... In some ways it felt complicated, in others easy. I am glad that I have another voice lesson tomorrow, so that I can ask about these things. Micaela is also coming along. I can't wait to coach the Dvorak with R.T. on Friday. If what I did today was correct, it may revolutionize my concept of singing. And if not... oh well.
One of those ridiculous things about learning and studying more... it's a bit like subtraction soup. The longer you study, the more you realize you know nothing at all.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home